Home Tour--Henry's Big Boy Room

As soon as we found out we were expecting our second baby in April, I set a goal to have Henry transitioned out of his crib and into a new bedroom by January 2019. We knew we didn't want to buy a second crib, and we felt confident that Henry would handle the transition well. We had a spare bedroom that had become a storage spot for things we didn't have a place for, and I knew that would take some time to clear out. Luckily I basically live for these kinds of projects! I started selling unused furniture and decor items, as well as finding homes for the things we needed to keep, and before long we were able to start working on Henry's room!

I had an image in my head of what I wanted it to look like, and I honestly think it exceeded my expectations! I knew I wanted grey walls, a navy Jenny Lind style headboard, and navy accents to match, and then I kind of just went from there. Red ended up becoming an accent color because of the adorable bedding I found, and it's the perfect pop with the navy and grey! I wanted this room to be a reflection of Henry and the things he loves, without being too juvenile, and I also wanted it to be a room he loves spending time in. We don't have a playroom, so his bedroom is where his toys are kept and where he does most of his playing. It's important that he wants to be in there!

Here's our sweet boy's room!
 
 
I found a pair of Jenny Lind headboards on Craiglist (one of them went into the attic to save for the future), and we painted the other one navy.  I also found the cutest bedding that is SO PERFECT for Henry, and it was the perfect match to the navy bed. At first I was thinking very practically and was looking for a solid color quilt or comforter that he could use for the rest of his childhood, but when I saw the construction vehicles, I threw practicality out the window! :) He's only a toddler once, right?!


 We went with a Pottery Barn Kids beanbag for seating instead of their Everyday Chair and I'm so happy with that decision! The beanbag is so cute, we can sit on it with Henry to read, and I know he won't be outgrowing it in a few years. 
I've actually been holding off on this post until I got the Roman shade for the window. I knew I needed to do some kind of shade because the wall is just too crowded for long or heavy window treatments, but I didn't want to spend the money on something nice looking  (there's not a decent looking Roman shade anywhere for less than $100...I looked everywhere for 2 months!) I tried cheap ones from Kohl's and Amazon that looked awful, so I finally broke down and ordered something custom and it was SO worth it! It's gorgeous and totally completed the room! 


Finding adequate book storage was a challenge because there wasn't much extra space in the room. I was kind of at a loss until I found this amazing book bin at Target. It holds SO many books, and fit almost all of Henry's. We used the same kind of ledges we had in his old room, and then put the few extras books in a basket under the bin. In his other room we had his books stored throughout the room on a bookshelf, in two baskets, and then on two ledges, so I love having these all in one location! 

 

Henry has started to really enjoy drawing/coloring, so I wanted to put a little table in his room with paper and crayons easily accessible so that he can draw whenever he feels like it. I hung the whimsical Molly Brett print that was in his nursery over the table, and I think it's a really great spot to foster his budding creativity! As he gets a little older, I envision him building Legos at this table, or doing various crafts and projects. I also already have an idea for putting a desk here with an Elfa wall unit to hold papers/book/school supplies when he gets to be 9 or 10. 😬 


We bought the cubby unit at IKEA, and it makes the perfect toy storage! We put big toys and puzzles on the top shelves, and then the bins (which I found at The Container Store), hold all the little stuff. I love them because we can just throw everything in when we clean up, and you'd never know what a mess they really are! 😜 Henry is so OCD about his stuff, and he makes sure to put everything back in the exact same cubby every night. If we move something around, he will 100% notice and will go and fix it. Haha! This poor baby is as neurotic as his mom and dad! 


This red wire shelf is one of my favorite things in the whole room. I was looking for a red accent shelf and came across this one on Wayfair for $175 and knew there was no way I could justify that cost. So I started googling trying to find something similar and I ended up coming across the EXACT SAME shelf on the manufacturer's website...on clearance...for $19.44!!!! I know you can't hear my voice, but if you could, know that I would be yelling this story at you out of sheer excitement. I will be chasing the high of this deal for the rest of my life. Yes, I said the rest of my life. Don't judge me! 😜 
It's the cutest spot to store Henry's stuffed animals! 


Believe it or not, the hardest thing to find was a navy lamp. I actually never found one, and ended up buying a pink one on clearance and spray painting it. And we of course love the vehicle alphabet print from the Etsy shop, Moriland! I have several other individual vehicle prints to hang, but haven't found the perfect spot for them yet!


I had SO MUCH FUN creating this space for Henry, and think it fits him so well! It was a long and tedious process, but seeing how much he loves being in his room is so rewarding!

**Special thanks to Tracy's husband, Derek, who did a fantastic job spray painting the headboard, as well as Tracy and Derek for gifting Henry the beanbag for Christmas. Also thanks to my parents for giving him the bedding. Oh, and can't forget my sister who spent a big chunk of a day helping me paint the room! This project was a group effort, and we appreciate all the help! 💖**




Comments

Popular Posts